Wednesday, April 20, 2011

04/19/11

Dear Family & Friends,
Below you will see an update from Bonnie. It is such a privilege and a blessing to have each of you in her life and to know that you are lifting her up in prayer to our Heavenly Father. Prayer is such a powerful tool that the Lord has given us and when we pray, God moves! We have seen his faithfulness over and over again. Thank you for your continued prayers and your continued support for Bonnie!

Charles & LouAnn

----------------------------
From Bonnie:

Well, I want to first thank everyone for their many continual prayers for me. As I am sure you all know, I have been pretty sick for a while…first with walking phenomena and then with malaria. I am happy to report that I am well again and back on malaria prevention medication. Also, no mumps so far. I was exposed to them on a few occasions, but am thankful to report I have not gotten them. I have off the next two weeks and am doing my best to relax and not fill up my days with too much. But, if you know me, you know I can’t just sit around doing nothing...ha.

School will be back in session on May 9th, but we will go in the week before to make our charts and finish up preparations. On the last day of school before break I had parent/teacher conferences and about 23 out of 30 came. It was a long day, but I enjoyed getting to meet the parents of my kids. Language was a barrier for most of them, but the other teachers took turns translating for me in between their sessions. Their gratitude for me teaching their kids moved me. Once term 2 starts, I will be tutoring them in groups of about 10 and they will stay for extra lessons 1-3 afternoons depending on their level of need. Please be praying this time will be effective and that the Lord will give me wisdom in how to best teach them and split them up.

I have a college age girl, Swazi, staying with me over the next two weeks. She normally stays at a college boarding house, but they do not allow them to stay there over break. We met through a mutual friend (one of the pastors' wives) and had an instant connection. Both her parents died when she was very young and she has no family to care for her. I am going to ask her if she would like to live with me instead of going back to the boarding house. Please be praying that God will provide the finances she needs to return to school this next term. The cost is about $1000 per term (each term is 3 months). Her father’s stepbrother paid for her 1st term and is now refusing to continue to pay. I was very inspired to hear that even though she was not able to attend classes this past term, she went to the college almost every day to study. She is a very motivated and dedicated young woman. I am confident that God will provide. If you feel led to help in any way, please email me. If you need more information, let me know.

The past week I have had a group of 5th and 6th grade girls “show” up at my door wanting to visit with me. It started as 2 and, well let’s just say, the number keeps growing! One day there were 5. The first day I put a movie in for them while I finished up some work. Then they asked if I was a teacher. After telling them I was, they asked if I had books. WOW!!! Kids who want to read instead of watch a movie?! That brought a smile to my face! Now they come and read and color almost every day. I also have a neighbor, a 16-year-old girl that I always see around. She has started visiting regularly, usually around mealtime. Her father passed 2 years ago and her mom is often gone in the evenings. After getting to know her a bit, she asked me to tutor her so that she could pass grade 12. My response was that I will try my best to help her, but I am only a grade 3 teacher. Last night at 10pm we started. First subject? ALGEBRA! Oh my goodness, the subject I hated and struggled with the most; I never liked the “higher maths.” God certainly has a sense of humor. He is just throwing me in the deep end again…ha. Today we will be doing grammar and more…GULP…algebra. Please pray I can remember or re-learn so that I can teach her well…ha.

I can see how God is clearly bringing these different people into my life, many of whom have difficult backgrounds full of suffering and sorrow. I am confident that God will use all I have walked through to minister to these people.

Bonnie